I am a total carb-a-holic. I love bread. I love biscuits. I love muffins. I love bread. Oh, and have I mentioned that I love bread?!
I was craving bread one night and thought of making bread pudding for breakfast that next morning. I wasn’t craving any ordinary bread pudding; it had to be savory bread pudding. I took out all of my desired ingredients and decided to satisfy my cravings. It took me but a few minutes and I had a gourmet breakfast in the fridge, waiting to be put in the oven the next morning. I loved every minute of it.
This bread pudding is filled with two kinds of cheeses – cheddar and parmesan – along with many fresh veggies: mushrooms (Actually, that would count as a fungus.), bell peppers, and onions. I LOVE mushrooms and fresh veggies. They’re everything, especially when it comes to savory bread pudding.
So stop drooling and start baking! You can’t live another minute without this lovely stuff.
SAVORY BREAD PUDDING
Why It’s So Yummy:
1 loaf of bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 (16 oz.) package of mushrooms, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
4 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. parmesan
How To Consume Properly:
1. In a greased 9×13″ baking pan, place in half of the bread cubes. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, pour in the oil, garlic, and the diced mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion. Cook until the vegetables are tender. Spread them over the other half of the bread cubes in the baking pan and venly distribute the rest of the bread cubes on top.
3. Beat the milk, eggs, salt, pepper, and cheeses until thoroughly combined. Pour the mixture evenly over the top of the bread cubes. Cover and refrigerate for at least a few hours, or overnight.
4. Once the bread pudding has soaked, keep covered and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour, or until the middle is set. This may take over an hour. Once set, bake for another 10 minutes to brown.
5. SERVE AND SAVOR!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE SAVORY BREAD PUDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!