I love gingerbread cookies. They’re spicy and yummy. The best gingerbread cookies, surprisingly, are the crispy, crunchy, thin, and spicy cookies.
I tried eating gingerbread cookies hot from the oven. Honestly, I couldn’t do it. This is weird for me to say: hot gingerbread cookies are awful! They must be cold. I don’t know why, but hot gingerbread cookies are way to soft and dough-y tasting when hot. I like my gingerbread cookies to be more “ginger snaps.” So this is what this recipe more resembles: gingerbread cookie snaps.
These “salty” and spicy gingerbread cookie snaps were kind of discovered by accident. An extra dump of salt was accidentally dropped in, but the result was breath taking! My love for gingerbread cookies have never been so strong and I feel as though it grows daily.
These salty cookies will melt your heart of ice. They must be extremely good for you because they do your cold heart good. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
SALTY & SPICY GINGERBREAD MEN SNAPS
Tweaked From the Original: Allrecipes’ Aunt Eileen’s Spicy Gingerbread Men
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. white sugar
1 c. molasses
2 egg yolks
4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
Melted white chocolate (optional)
How To Consume Properly
1. Beat the butter and sugar together. Add the rest of the ingredients, except white chocolate chips. Chill for at least an hour or two.
2. When chilled, roll out the dough on a greased countertop and greased rolling pin. Roll to 1/8th to 1/4 inch thickness. You want the cookies to be thin! Cut out using a gingerbread man cookie cutter, or other cutter if preferred.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 – 10 minutes, or until light brown. Depending on how thin you rolled out your dough and how crisp you want your cookie, depends on how long you want to bake them.
4. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely and frost or decorate once cool, either with melted white chocolate or your favorite frosting.
5. Enjoy the salty spiciness on this blessed Christmas day! Your Christmas just won’t be complete without them.