I love apple brown betty; so when adding cream cheese and caramel came to me, I couldn’t resist! It’s so sweet and rich, it’s almost too good to be true. Every bite is worth dying for. And it’s as pretty as its name.
Look at the beauty! Roasted apples. Dripping cheesecake filling. Gooey, sticky caramel. Mmm… I will die… HERE.
The wonderful thing about the entire lovely mess is that it uses up old bread. We keep a bread bag in the freezer. Whenever we cut too much bread, make too much toast, or the ends that no one wants, we’ll throw the bread in the bread bag. When the bag is full (which surprisingly doesn’t take long), we make something with it. Whether it’s French toast bake or bread pudding, something is made and everyone looks forward to the day. We light candles for every day with the count down. No, not really.
CARAMEL APPLE CHEESECAKE BROWN BETTY
For the Caramel:
1 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. half & half
1 tsp. vanilla
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese
2/3 c. white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Dash of salt
For the Brown Betty:
1 large loaf of bread
4 large apples, diced (peeling is optional)
1/2 c. butter
1/4 brown sugar
1/4 c. water
How To Consume Properly:
1. For the caramel, first melt the butter. Then add the brown sugar until dissolved. Mix in the salt and half & half. Boil for 3-5 minutes and then take off of burner. Add the vanilla. Pour half of the caramel into the bottom of a greased 9×13 pan. Set aside.
2. For the cream cheese filling, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until well combined. Set aside.
3. Rip half of the loaf of bread on top of the caramel. Sprinkle half of the apple slices over the bread. Slice the butter and lay half the slices over the bread. Spread the cream cheese filling on top.
4. Rip the rest of the bread over the cream cheese layer and then sprinkle with the rest of the apple pieces. Evenly sprinkle the brown sugar over the apples and then end with the rest of the butter slices. Pour the water over it all.
5. Cover the brown betty and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the apples are tender. Remove the cover and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the brown betty is golden brown. Serve hot or cold with vanilla ice cream and the rest of the caramel sauce. Delish.